Every Oak Park resident, student, educator, and business owner can get an Oak Park Public Library card for the widest access to library services. Why get a card? Review the benefits your card provides »
How you sign up depends on the access you want
Get instant access with a digital-only account
A digital-only account gives you instant access to Your Digital Library. The best part? You can sign up now and convert your account to a full access account (see below) later.
Get full access with an Oak Park Public Library card, convert your digital-only account
Want full access to all the benefits your public library offers? An Oak Park Public Library card lets you place holds and check out materials from library locations and so much more.
Whether you’re signing up for a card for the first time or you’ve already applied for a digital-only account, here’s what you’ll need to do to get full borrowing access:
- Get your photo ID and proof of your Oak Park residency or employment (see exactly what you’ll need below) ready to share.
- Get in touch with a staff member:
- Pick up your card in the Main Library Lobby or at the Maze Branch, or if you prefer, we can mail your card out to you via the United States Postal Service’s first-class mail.
- Use your new card! Check out all the benefits your card provides »
What you’ll need
Oak Park residents
Age 18 years or older: You’ll need a current photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport) and proof of Oak Park residency (utility bill or recently postmarked mail). These cards never expire.
Younger than age 18: Babies, toddlers and kids can get a card when a parent or guardian present a current photo ID and proof of Oak Park residency. These cards never expire.
Oak Park educators
All Oak Park teachers, teaching assistants, and school staff need to share a current photo ID and an Oak Park school employment ID. These cards have a one-year expiration from issue date but may be renewed. Call 708.383.8200 to renew.
Oak Park business owners, nonprofits & employees
Owners can apply with a lease or a tax bill and a current photo ID. Employees can provide current proof of employment and contact information for the business or nonprofit owner (who will be responsible for any fees or lost materials). These cards have a one-year expiration from issue date but may be renewed. Call 708.383.8200 to renew.
Not an Oak Park resident?
Contact us now to learn more specific to your situation. For example:
- You may already have borrowing privileges through your home library. We are a member of the SWAN consortium, which means you can borrow items in Oak Park! View a list of SWAN libraries »
- Temporary address? We will work with you to ensure access to library services and resources.
- You also may choose to purchase an Oak Park card for an annual fee of $435.90.