To pick up and return your items, you can choose from any Oak Park Public Library building location and lockers at the Main Library. We also offer home delivery.
Placing items on hold
- Log in to the catalog with your account number and PIN »
- Search for and click on the item you want to borrow.
- Then click “Place Hold” on the format and language you would like. Learn more »
Picking up items on hold
- It’s easy to change the way you are notified about your holds. Learn more here »
- Inside each library, there is dedicated shelf space where you will find items alphabetized by cardholders’ last names.
Using lockers for 24/7 access
- Outdoor lockers (35) are located to the right of the main entrance. Once you are registered for locker use, you can pick up and return items anytime, even when the Main Library building is closed.
- Indoor lockers (17) are located in the lobby under the stairwell. You can pick up and return items only when the Main Library is open.
- You can pick up anything in the lockers, including books, movies, and devices such as hotspots.
Ready to get started?
- Create an account! Complete this simple form to register to use the secure locker system »
- Be sure to confirm your regristration via the link you will receive in your email.
- Place your holds and set your pick-up location preference for an indoor or outdoor locker.
- When your holds are ready…
- You will get a code by email or text to unlock and retrieve your items. Use the 5-digit-code or QR code in the email and/or text to access the locker.
- If you download the Smiota app and allow it to access your location, you can receive notifications about your locker pickups and open the lockers directly from the app.
- We will hold items in lockers for up to 7 days.
Please note: If your current hold for a locker pickup was placed in error and you do not wish to receive materials via a locker, please contact us to change your hold pick-up location.
- Book drops are located both inside and outside all library locations (see below).
- Book drops are for library items only. Looking to donate books? Here’s who to contact »
- Cardholders are responsible for library items until they are checked in. If book drops are full, please do not leave items near, next to, or on top of book drops.
Using the automated return slots
- At the Main Library, please return only books and DVDs through the automated return slots (located inside the lobby and, as pictured above, outside the main entrance).
- For items like magazines and newspapers, kits that come in a backpack or bag, and tech devices, please hand them to a staff member inside the library or set up a locker return in advance of your return visit.
Outside Oak Park book drop locations
Village Parking Lot 55
Our outdoor automated return slot is located directly to the left of our new lockers. Interested in using a locker for materials pickup and return? Contact us.
In front of the building on Gunderson Avenue.
Just north of the building on Augusta Street.