How do you spell summer reading? J-O-Y! We’re getting back to basics this summer, inspiring kids to rediscover joy in reading and learning.
Summer reading is here!
Knowing that books help us through tough times, we’re focusing on the joy of reading. Kids ages 3 through rising ninth graders can sign up. And for younger kids, check out 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!
Like last year, you’ll sign up and track reading and challenges through Beanstack, a digital platform that’s accessible by app and web browser. Also like last year, kids earn prizes and beads for their participation.
Watch the videos below—available in three languages—for an overview of Reading Colors Your World and keep reading for more details!
- How does it work? Everything is online. Click the button below to register and track your reading and activities.
- Who can participate? Everyone age 3 through rising 9th graders.
- When does the virtual program run? All summer long, through August 31.
- Where do we track progress? From wherever you are, log in to Beanstack using a web browser and/or the Beanstack Tracker app (available on iOS and Android) to track progress in reading and activities.
- Can we get a printable list of all the activities? Download and print a list (PDF) »
Title suggestions, by age & grade
Need book recommendations? Check out our title suggestions—many of which can be checked out digitally through Hoopla or Media on Demand & Libby with your Oak Park library card—for ages 3 through rising ninth graders.
- Looking for more picture books? Explore our favorite resources for digital picture books »
- There are so many ways to bring stories alive and into your lives this summer! Listen to these recommended podcasts for kids »
Don’t have an Oak Park account? Get a card, sign up for instant digital access »
Share how reading colors your world
How’s summer reading going for you? We’d love to see!
How do I register my child?
Click on the “Register now & track progress” button above to access Beanstack, an easy-to-use online tracking system. Adults can register themselves and multiple children under one username and password.
Can I also sign up my child for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten?
Yes! Kids ages three through rising kindergarteners can track their reading in Beanstack and get credit for Reading Colors Your World and 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, a year-long and ongoing program for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers.
What is Beanstack?
Beanstack is an easy-to-use online platform where you can track your reading and activities. Download the Beanstack Tracker app—available for iOS and Android—to your mobile device for convenient registration and logging.
How do kids earn virtual badges and prizes?
There are over 120 activities in six different categories. Kids ages 3 and up who finish at least five activities in one category get a pouch of beads. Finish five activities in all six categories and get a super special bead. Read for 10 or 20 hours and get more beads! (Reading is part of the six categories, too.)
You can pick up beads at the Main Library or Maze Branch Library, have them delivered in Oak Park, or mailed out of town.
Why should my child participate?
Research has shown that kids who read over the summer keep their skills sharp and are better prepared for school in the fall, while recent research adds that kids who choose their own summer reading books lose even fewer skills over the summer. That makes summer the perfect time to help kids develop their own preferences and explore new and familiar genres at their own pace. When kids love what they read, they’ll love reading—now and in the future.