Your public library is here to connect you with books, online resources, and learning experiences that celebrate Arab American history and culture all year long. On this page, you can:
- Browse suggested fiction and nonfiction titles for adults, teens, and kids, all hand-selected by our librarians.
- Find information about an upcoming display in the Main Library Idea Box windows and learn about a fanoos, a lantern used during Ramadan.
- Log in with your Oak Park card and PIN to use online resources for self-paced learning from anywhere.
The month of April was officially designated as Arab American Heritage Month in Illinois in December 2018. Read the proclamation »
Ramadan & Islam Around the World
Monday, April 12-Wednesday, May 12, Main Library Idea Box. Ramadan Mubarak! Throughout the month of Ramadan, view a beautiful collection of what brings together Muslims from different parts of the world. On display in the windows of the Main Library Idea Box, you’ll see different cultures’ artifacts—including traditional dresses from Iraq, India, Pakistan, Palestine, and other countries, as well as Islamic artwork, prayer rugs, and rosaries. Learn more about Ramadan and presenter Dima Ali »
Learning about Fanoos
In this Virtual Learning & Fun for Kids video, Miss Juanta introduces Dima Ali, an Oak Park resident who is excited to tell you about her fanoos, a lantern used during Ramadan.
Titles we suggest
Explore more title suggestions: Check out kids’ picture books, chapter books, and more (pdf) »
Get access to subscription-based resources that Google can’t offer, with your Oak Park card and PIN:
- PebbleGo (preschool-grades 3) and PebbleGo Next (grades 3-5): Check out the Social Studies module to explore.
- World Book Student (elementary & middle schoolers): Explore a collection of articles, tables, and multimedia of the world, and find maps showing political, population, economic, and meteorological information in the World Resources section.
- Mango Languages: Reach conversational proficiency in Arabic. Language options include Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Iraqi), Arabic (Levantine), and Arabic (Modern Standard).
Newspapers & magazines
- Global Newsstream: Get full-text access to newspapers, news wires, websites, and blogs from leading publishers throughout the Middle East region. From the GlobalNewsstream front page, select “International Newsstream” and then “Middle East & African Newsstream.”
- Muslim Journal [Chicago]: Read current full-text issues of the publication.
- PressReader: Search by language or country to find publications available in Arabic and/or from Arab countries.